Hello, I'm Alex Combes. Here in the Honeycomb classroom we develop upon the foundations of education and learn social skills that will be used lifelong. We look out for each other, are kind to ourselves, and approach learning opportunities with curiosity and excitement. We create, imagine, express, and discover; we are amazing human beings preparing to make the world a better place.
1st grade Supply List | View
First Grade Highlights
*The frequency of classes with specialists may change depending on distance or hybrid learning models.
- Two classes a week with our art specialist
- Two classes a week with our movement specialist
- One class a week with our music specialist
Units of Study:
First Grade Units of Study
- August/September—We will begin with our names and who we are. We learn routines, and expectations, and build a foundation for strong social-emotional and academic learning. We will begin learning number sense, numbers 0-10, and engineering. We build our class and school community.
- October –Next, we study the harvest, insects, and plant structure. We take a field study to Mountain Bounty Farm. We learn nursery rhymes and have our first play (Mother Goose). We study addition and number facts 0-10.
- November/December –We study birds and we honor multicultural celebrations and the seasons. We learn the value of different traditions and honor our own. We will study subtraction facts 0-10 and word problems.
- January/February – We learn about real-life heroes that have and continue to change our world. We learn about our personal strengths as well. Students will learn their place in space. We learn, write, and create. We will study place value, geometry, shapes, and patterns.
- March – This month, we begin our studies of mammals, geography, and habitats. We begin rehearsal for The Show (our spring collaborative first-grade performance). We will work on math fact fluency, number talks, and problem-solving.
- April – We’ll finish up mammal studies, look at the science of light and waves, and begin studying space. We will work on math operations (addition and subtraction) for numbers 0-20.
- May – This month we will finish up our studies of space and solar systems. We will learn how to tell time, count money, and practice strengthening our skills.
- June – We will take a look back – how much we have grown and what we have endeavored to learn. A celebration of us! We have our first-grade class celebrations and honor one another.
Mountain Bounty Farm $ 4
Mosaic $ 25
Class Party $ 6
Sacramento Zoo $ 13